5steps2ielts.com / 5steps2english.com
October 23, 2014, 09:10:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back to all our members! You've never been away? Well done! Expect NEW HAPPENINGS SOON! - From the 5 Steps Team !

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you shy to speak English outside your Class?  (Read 6133 times)
mr. cool

View Profile Email
« on: April 27, 2006, 02:16:27 AM »

Dear everyone,

I find a lot of students are too shy to speak their English outside formal class. If in fact, they are not shy and enjoy practicing their English outside class with their friends or those who can speak English as well, i am sure they will learn English a lot faster.

How can we stop English learners from being too shy to speak English outside formal class and make them enjoy practicing English with friends?

I would appreciate if you can answer to these questions and even more appreciate if you can actually do what you are going to answer in order to encourage those learners to enjoy practicing their English outside class as well.

Thanks a lot for your response,

r. Cool
If you can not be the sun or the moon to light the earth, please be a lamp to light those around you. This is why we should share our knowledge to others.
jupiter
Global Moderator
Super

onlytiptop@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:58:38 PM »

Dear mr. cool

I've also found that most students are shy to speak English. I think the reasons differ from one student to another. Some students fear that they may make mistakes when they open their mouth to speak, other students find that they will be thought to be a proud person to speak English in public because most people think that we're Khmer so in simple life we should speak our language, that is, Khmer.

I can find only two reasons now, so I hope other members will share their ideas here.

What is ur cool idea, mr. cool?

Jupiter

PS. If I can't be a sun, a moon and even a lamp to light others, how can I do Huh

A woman is like a cup of tea. You'll never know how strong she is until she boils.
mr. cool

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:00:39 PM »

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks a lot for your contribution in finding out two logical reasons about why students are too shy to speak their English outside the formal class. I absolutely agree with you. But now let's us try to overcome these challenges. Alright Mr., Mrs. and Miss learners! Let say you guys are afraid of making a mistake when you speak Enlish. Thus, you prefer not to open up your mouth, unless you have to, right? Well, if you make a mistake when you speak! So what? Are you going to be punished or imprisoned or is the world turning to a tragedy? The answers are "NO". But instead you can improve your speaking skills and the more you speak the more you feel relax, especially when you speak in an official or formal occassions. Of course you may make a mistake, but that's normal for learners. And even native speakers, they still can not avoid making a mistake. Someone or your listeners might help correct your mistakes if they find it is appropriate to do so after they hear you speak. And if so you can learn from them here, right?

Other reason is that you will be seen as too proud! Some people do think so and i believe this is discouraging for learners. But you should know that some other people will react to you positively and say Wav! his/her English is very good or good guys/girls...s/he speaks very/good English, etc.

Please remember that in this world there are two types of thinkers: 1 is positive thinkers (optimism) ; 2 is negative thinkers (pestimism). If i were you, i would be more favor to my positive thinkers and just ignore my negative thinkers. Because my negative thinkers here help me nothing!

By saying so i don't mean that we have to speak English all the times to anyone or at any occasions, like we don't need to speak English to our dogs or cats to impress our grand mother :lol:, etc. But I do believe by reducing your shyness and increasing your courage to practice your English as much as you can, your English will be improved very fast! Believe me!

I don't know what others think about that but i always appreciate your other comments.

PS: Hey Jupiter, if you can't be the sun, the moon or even the lamp to light others, you may just consider being a useful creature.

r. Cool
If you can not be the sun or the moon to light the earth, please be a lamp to light those around you. This is why we should share our knowledge to others.
jupiter
Global Moderator
Super

onlytiptop@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:07:25 AM »

Hi mr. cool  Cheesy

Again your ideas are really cool, it's even cooler than what i expected. You know, I couldn't close my eyes and I nearly forget to breathe when reading it. I give you nine out of ten if it is required to rate.

I'm looking forward to reading your next post.
Jupiter

PS. Sure, I am getting on the way to be more useful than I really am.

A woman is like a cup of tea. You'll never know how strong she is until she boils.
Suy Prasoeur
Super

prosaur-potter@hotmail.com mattew_baker@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 12:02:41 AM »

Hi Jupiter and Mr. Cool

What a brilliant discussion! Two of you have shared brilliant ideas as for yourselves and everyone. I just couldn't have a look at the outside even the stars would fall down while reading these texts. It's a real interesting suggestion.

Jupiter, you got the right reasons why the English learners are shy to speak English in the public. What you have said is just like what I've been doing now. As I told you in the previous message that I am afriad, I might make mistakes while I'm speaking and other people would laugh at those mistakes :oops: . And also, it's hard to understand what they're speaking, because of their accents. Other stuff is I don't wanna be pround of myself in the public. I'm afraid of those hundred eyes looking at me in a negative way.

Mr. Cool, you got such a good solution for this problem. Your idea is even cooler than your name!

After reading these texts, I realize that I'm going a wrong way. I should follow your suggestions. Thank you so much.

I'm looking forward to getting your new idea again, Smiley
Prasoeur
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:10:38 PM by Suy Prasoeur » Logged

used to think I had the answers to everything. But now I know, that life doesn't always go my way. So I must do something to get it to be the best one. All I have to do now is to get the best quality of learning English.
Keo Somala
Global Moderator
Super

an early morning

kounila_keo@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 09:36:56 PM »

Hi there! Cheesy

You all have fantastic ideas right here! Those are logically true Cheesy. That is, we are afraid of making mistakes, and we might be criticized for speaking English instead of speaking our native tongue.

Hey, you know, there is another thing I think I should say about that. The most important moment of all is to start to do things right now. If you want to speak English, do it right now. We don't have to wait until we meet someone who can speak English. Chances are if you want to speak or not. Practice it in front of a mirror if nobody is there. When you meet foreigners or English-speaking people, begin it if you can Cheesy. So, everyone, never put off what you can do today, this hour, this minute!

Practice, practice, practice!!! :wink:

Kounila
Hope to get more ideas from you all!

Suy Prasoeur
Super

prosaur-potter@hotmail.com mattew_baker@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

Hi Somala,

That sounds a bit odd to converse with yourself in front of the mirror :? .  Is it a new tip for the English learners? Do you often do that? Actaully, I am really afraid that the one in the mirror might truely answer your question :evil:  ...... My bedroom is abit dark....... :? .

used to think I had the answers to everything. But now I know, that life doesn't always go my way. So I must do something to get it to be the best one. All I have to do now is to get the best quality of learning English.
Keo Somala
Global Moderator
Super

an early morning

kounila_keo@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 07:35:53 PM »

Hello Prasoeur,

It's a bit strange you have never conversed with yourself in front of a mirror or even talked to yourself Cheesy . Well, it's no longer a new tip for the English learners. I'm sure other students may have done the same! For example, when they are going to make a presentation at school, they might choose this way or even practice speaking in front of their siblings or friends. Of course, I often do that because I need to practice in front of a mirror for two hours for my 5-minute presentation. This way does work out my fear of making mistakes and also my need of speaking. In truth, you don't need to be scared of the one in the mirror. If he speaks back to you, say to God that it's your luck because now you have a partner for practice :shock: !!! Turn the light on if it's a bit dark! And don't forget to turn your heart on because it's going to make your room brighter for your English knowledge Cheesy .

Take care!  

jupiter
Global Moderator
Super

onlytiptop@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
hi
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 08:08:54 PM »

Hi there  Cheesy

Nice to read ur posting. It's kind of funny (ha ha ha).
I'm at Somala's site to say that talking with urself in front of the mirror is no longer a new tip, b/c  I've heard about it for ages. Unfortunately, I've never done it. Possibly, I feel like Prasoeur (the one in the mirror may reply back to u.)

Hey Prasoeur, Somala has made a flawless suggestion (Turn on the light to make ur bedroom brighter and turn on ur heart to make ur mind brighter) But I suggest that don't forget to turn on (open) ur eyes b/c eye contact is absolutely vital for every presentation/activity.

Hope to get ur reaction
Jupiter

PS. We can talk to ourselves without a mirror (it works!!!)

jupiter
Global Moderator
Super

onlytiptop@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
hi
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »

Hi there  Cheesy

Nice to read ur posting. It's kind of funny (ha ha ha).
I'm at Somala's site to say that talking with urself in front of the mirror is no longer a new tip, b/c  I've heard about it for ages. Unfortunately, I've never done it. Possibly, I feel like Prasoeur (the one in the mirror may reply back to u.)

Hey Prasoeur, Somala has made a flawless suggestion (Turn on the light to make ur bedroom brighter and turn on ur heart to make ur mind brighter) But I suggest that don't forget to turn on (open) ur eyes b/c eye contact is absolutely vital for every presentation/activity.

Hope to get ur reaction
Jupiter

PS. We can talk to ourselves without a mirror (it works!!!)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: