5steps2ielts.com / 5steps2english.com
November 22, 2014, 09:32:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back to all our members! You've never been away? Well done! Expect NEW HAPPENINGS SOON! - From the 5 Steps Team !

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to be able to listen to native speakers of English well?  (Read 5485 times)
Khay Vichara

View Profile Email
« on: November 24, 2005, 10:51:54 PM »

Hello Paul,

When I watch Cable TV, I cannot catch what the native speaker of English says very well. I cannot listen to them because they speak fast and actually have difficult-to-listen pronounciation. What should I do to improve my listening?

Thank you.

ichara
bunkheam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 07:10:21 AM »

Hi, Vichara,

I also have the same problem, esp. in the movie. I can listen to native speakers very well when talking to them face to face or listening to radio like LOVE FM, BBC and Asia Pacific , but when I listen to the movie on HBO or Star, I can listen just less than 40%. Paul, could you give us some tips?

Thanks in advance.
BK
Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 08:24:12 PM »

i see it very differcult to know the native speaker. they talk really fast and their sound so pig.
Paul Brown (MA CELTA)
Global Moderator
Super

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 09:26:19 PM »

Hey man,

I have read your last posts and i don't understand whether you want us to help you or you are just having fun.

English speakers sound like pig.......doesn't sound very nice to me.. :?

do you want to explain what you mean by that?

If you mean they speak fast, then that is the same for any second language, I can speak Khmer, but i have the same problem in listening as Khmer native speakers, it takes time and a lot of practice.

We are here to help, some tips for listening will be coming on the website very soon.  Cheesy

have fun,  :wink:

Paul

Accept finite disappointment, but don't lose infinite hope!
bunkheam

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 07:16:40 AM »

:x I have red all posts of 'man' and I think having 'man' such member is very unfortunate for this e-learning website. I think if 'man' dose not enjoy the website, he should stop posting any message and keep himself away from it.

Paul, could you answer our questions on how to listen well when watching Engish movie?

BK
Paul Brown (MA CELTA)
Global Moderator
Super

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 10:14:50 AM »

Hey Bunkheam,  Cheesy

Welcome to the website and thanks for the good ideas on how to get better at listening. I am sure your good ideas are appreciated and thanks for getting involved in the discussion forum and sharing your study ideas with others!

Great to have you as a member of the site and thanks for your support!  Smiley

have fun,  :wink:

Paul

Accept finite disappointment, but don't lose infinite hope!
prince_charming

no no veapp
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 11:42:08 PM »

I like watching movies from the west. SO i push myself to try and try.
I become really good after months of reading sub title of the movies. KNow what i mean?

It is very benificial when you read the sript and listen at the same time.

what cha think Paul?

P.S: does anybody find Brittish accent quite hard to catch?

if u would be loved, love and be loveable."
william

william william william
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 01:30:31 AM »

Hi...everyone , i also have a problem about listening too.
hmm
Super

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 01:33:21 AM »

Quote from: "prince_charming"
I like watching movies from the west. SO i push myself to try and try.
I become really good after months of reading sub title of the movies. KNow what i mean?

It is very benificial when you read the sript and listen at the same time.

what cha think Paul?

P.S: does anybody find Brittish accent quite hard to catch?

among the three: english, american, and australian- if i arrange them by difficulty: english comes first, american the second, and australian the third.

paifon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

Cheesy Hi everybody in here, Khay Vichara, bunkheam, prince_charming and also Paul Brown??
I have read all of your posts, yeah I am the one in your shoes, and Listening is the most difficult part for my studying English and my working also. Esp.  When my boss talking with me sometime I hard to catch all sentences that he talk with me, and furthermore he has to write down in the paper and also when talking on the phone it like very hard to conversation on the phone with native speaker  so now I am very serious with this problem. Would you please give me any suggestion for improve my listening?

Thank you in advance and lucky on all of you,
cheers,
Paifon
mana

hiphopgirl_sexy@hotmail.com hiphopgirl_sexy@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 05:55:59 AM »

I know, most of student found that listening skill is too difficult for them, and so did i.  Cheesy
I think that Listening skill is the best part for studying English! If you don't know what the person in front of you meaning to, what should you do???
For me i think that if you want to be well in listening  to the native English is depend on how hard are you trying to study about it!
I can take it to three part of listenin' strategies:
 1, During you're watching TV (cable TV on programe US movies, study time, news...) and try to know the meaning of the speaker you should look at their mouth! if still no, you can close your eyes and pay attention to listen what they're saying!
2, you don't have to try to listen to the native speaker i you know that you can't even you try your best! try this another way now!, you should try to listen to the same students speaking (someone who's good in speaking skill) in everyday English and mark how many percent (%) can you listen, and how many percent can you know the meaning, and think in your own way about what they're saying in this circumstance and why??what they are refer to???
3, Do you like English song?? Have you ever talked to the foreigner?? How many percent of English words do you know?? know alot or just a lil bit??( it's pretty neccessary) How shy are you???

This is just my own idea!  I don't know it's right or wrong.
That were just my experience of studying English and on listening skill.
I'm very happy cuz i can share my knowledge here!

[I live in PP, i'm cambodian gurl age 16, I found it difficult to listen to the native speaker saying too, when i first start learning English but now it's ok for me but still alil bit difficult too, you know i like listening to English song, I like to talk to the foreigner, i like to read English book that'd improve me to know alot of words that using in everyday English.]

yep, one more thing if you don't have the Cable TV you can listen to LoveFm you can try to listen to what are the DJ sayin'?? They're good at language, and the English songs will make you feel great!
and don't miss the Paul programme on LoveFM.

You know, Just determind that don't be shy to speaking English and don't be shy to tell your teacher what you had listen ( in the classroom when the listening time) don't be scare of the mistake cuz mistake make you better.

Does anyone have another idea about this???
If have, please post your message now.
Or just mail to me My id : hiphopgirl_sexy@yahoo.com

I'm a new member here! so i need more introduce.
I know this site by LoveFm, not in CTN.
I'm not good in writtin', if there anything wrong let me sorry. (^_^)

have fun all,  Cool
enjoy your day!!!!!

e bright and be brilliant cuz trying hard to study..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: